IRA S. GRIFFITH, A. B.
Supervisor of Manual Training, Oak Park, Ill.;
Instructor in Wood-Work and Methods, Bradley Polytechnic Institute Summer School;
Editor Illinois Manual Arts Association; Chairman Editorial Board, Western Drawing and Manual Training Association.
POPULAR MECHANICS HANDBOOKS CHICAGO POPULAR MECHANICS CO.
THIS book is one of the series of Handbooks on industrial subjects being published by the Popular Mechanics Company.
Like Popular Mechanics Magazine, and like the other books in this series, it is “written so you can understand it.”
The purpose of Popular Mechanics Handbooks is to supply a growing demand for high-class, up-to-date and accurate text-books, suitable for home study as well as for class use, on all mechanical subjects.
The text and illustrations, in each instance, have been prepared expressly for this series by well known experts, and revised by the editor of Popular Mechanics.
Copyright, 1911 By H. H. WINDSOR
Table of Contents
- CHAPTER I, Making Out a Stock Bill.7
- CHAPTER II, Laying Out Rough Stock.11
- CHAPTER III, Hand Saws13
- CHAPTER IV, Sawing with Hand Saws.17
- CHAPTER V, Planes: How to Set and Adjust the Irons20
- CHAPTER VI, Squaring Up Mill-Planed Stock26
- CHAPTER VII, Squaring Up Mill-Planed Stock (continued)33
- CHAPTER VIII, Squaring Up Rough Stock 39 CHAPTER IX, Whetting Plane Irons and Chisels45
- CHAPTER X, Grinding Plane Irons and Chisels50
- CHAPTER XI, Making a Bird Box55
- CHAPTER XII, Making a Taboret63
- CHAPTER XIII, How to Make an Umbrella Stand74
- CHAPTER XIV, Making a Magazine Stand84
- CHAPTER XV, Making a Table93
- CHAPTER XVI, Making a Cabinet103